An OLPC Development Model

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed May 7 17:45:42 EDT 2008

On 07.05.2008, at 23:04, C. Scott Ananian wrote:

> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Bert Freudenberg
> <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

>>> You're on crack, Bert.  *None* of the activities listed in 6598
>>> are in
>>> the core build.
>>
>> Maybe I am hallucinating this:
>>
>> http://pilgrim.laptop.org/~pilgrim/olpc/streams/olpc3/build9/devel_jffs2/build.log
>
> That's not the core build.  That's Dennis' private playground.

I was talking about the "olpc3" build (it's still cited above for
reference). I don't know exactly which build you mean by "core", but
probably update.1.

Maybe it's all obvious to you. Here is how it looks from the outside:
A new build series is started next to the official update.1 build.
Lacking any announcement to clarify things, is it really so wrong to
assume this has some significance? In particular when the other
experimental builds (joyride and faster) are on a different server?
And when I then look at what activities are installed, is it so wrong
to wonder why *exactly* those 7 activities are installed that "we are
currently supporting at OLPC and should be part of builds going
forward" (Kim's words)? I concede this is not your fault, but please
do not pretend this list of blessed activities would not exist.

> Didn't we go over that already?

The olpc3 build was not discussed before today, as far as I know.
Certainly not before it was out there.

- Bert -