An OLPC Development Model

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed May 7 15:34:15 EDT 2008

On 07.05.2008, at 19:54, C. Scott Ananian wrote:

> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Bert Freudenberg
> <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>> On 07.05.2008, at 19:36, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not really convinced it should be a separate build. Just ship a
>>> set of core activities and make it really easy to install new ones
>>> (we
>>> have already everything in place to do so).
>>
>> I hate the "core activities" idea. What are the core activities for
>> an
>> education machine? The activities that distinguish the XO from all
>> the
>> other laptops out there are regularly omitted from the "core". Like
>> in
>> the new olpc3 build (*). There is no technical reason for this, and
>> it
>> sends the wrong message. Unless someone wants to  convey that this is
>> just another laptop project.
>>
>> - Bert -
>>
>> (*) http://dev.laptop.org/~bert/olpc3-pkgs.html
>
> Bert, the olpc3 branch has not been released yet and in fact doesn't
> even *boot* yet, as far as I know.  It's where Dennis is working on
> FC9 stuff.  etoys is not in the official Fedora repositories because
> of CLA issues, which we all understand, but to fault Dennis for not
> including something which is completely irrelevant to the FC9 porting
> work he is actually trying to do, and furthermore, to make this
> complaint against an *unreleased and unannounced testing build* which
> *doesn't even boot* -- this verges on paranoia.  Please don't assume
> that OLPC is somehow conspiring against etoys!  It is one of the most
> heavily used pieces of software in our deployments, as far as I can
> tell.

Well, my trust in OLPC is being probed every other day. I take your
word, and I trust a few other people there, but I also have to
acknowledge that priorities at OLPC are changing. So much so that some
of the people I trusted most are leaving.

And it's certainly no coincidence that the list of activities in olpc3
is what Kim wanted in ticket 6598. You certainly remember the
discussions.

We'll see. If this fear is unfunded, all the better.

- Bert -