An OLPC Development Model

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Wed May 7 14:51:52 EDT 2008

On May 7, 2008, at 2:19 PM, Eben Eliason wrote:

>>  Dammit, why are we having the discussion again!
>>
>>  We do not *ship* any image or machine with no activities installed.
>>  End of story.
>
> I thought that was exactly what we were doing, and that the only way
> to have activities wind up on builds was via "activity packs" supplied
> at the country level.  Clearly communication hasn't been clear enough
> here.  Do you mind clarifying the actual process?  It's pertinent to
> the issue of ensuring that the ring is never empty.

We have builds of the base system (e.g. update.1 703)

We have activities.   Countries/trials choose a set (bundle) of
activities
and content to have installed on the laptop.

At the factory, a combination of base system and SKU (country)
specific activity bundle is installed.

In country, an upgrade would likewise install a base system
and the country specific activity bundle.

No laptop should ever have the OS bundle installed without some
set of activities also being installed.

Where we fail to meet expectations is when G1G1 users change
from the old, monolithic, OS + activities to the new, unbundled
OS without hand-holding (installing the G1G1 activity bundle).

wad