very simple datastore reimplementation

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Wed May 7 12:53:30 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 15:41 +0000, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> wrote:
> > Please remember of the need for file names in the on disk structure
> >  being human readable.  The need for interoperability (not just with
> >  Sugar) is key.  This wasn't quite clear in your discussion.
>
> I was thinking about this at this item:
>
> > - Expose the files with a human readable name, for legacy apps and
> > maybe for backups? Using a FUSE plugin?
>
> But I was intending to use the uid in the internal, private file
> structure as it will be more robust.
>
> A FUSE plugin may provide a POSIX API similar to the one in olpcfs,
> would this be enough to fulfill this concern?

FUSE doesn't help you either if you take a USB key to some other OS, nor
if you take the file structure to a Linux system until/unless we succeed
at making the olpcfs a "standard" on those systems.

These are not mutually exclusive options: you could concatenate a UID
with a human readable name.   All I care is that some poor guy who needs
to find some file has a prayer of doing so without a fancy database
conversion or some special software.

Another option is even to generate an HTML page that can be browsed to
provide an index: but this is less robust if the underlying file ever
gets separated from such an index page.
                          - Jim