15 computer science collegians looking for a project

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Mon May 5 13:38:55 EDT 2008

Specifically, the intent of the developer program is to support
development: it is not a back door way to get machines for small trials.

In general, it is in support of individual's needs (one or a few
machines), though we'll also consider a professor's request for a class
they are teaching, or a researcher wanting a (small) bunch of machines
for working mesh software.

What we don't want to see are "front men" who claim to be supporting a
set of developers, and acts as a gatekeeper for access to systems.

For example, if you have a set of 10 developers, I'd expect there to be
10 individual requests (for possibly significantly more than 10
machines).  If someone can't be bothered to fill out that minimal
information, they are unlikely to actually do anything with the machine,
and we've seen instances that appear to be individuals trying to use
their navigation of the developer program to further private agendas.

And yes, Aaron's nice work enables a group be able to evaluate these
requests (and that group be community based, not OLPC employees).
			- Best regards,
                                - Jim