Teachers and researchers (miniconference?)

Kent Loobey kent at uoregon.edu
Sun Mar 30 12:43:07 EDT 2008

Relax teachers!  No laptop will ever replace the "good" a good teacher can do
for a student.

What a laptop / activity / software / internet can do is make available to a
student information / resources / experience that any particular teacher does
not have / know / have-access.

What I have been told by good-intentioned / over-worked / bigoted / dumb /
ignorant teachers is don't-think-about-it / no-one-knows-about-it /
we-don't-do-that / learning-about-it-is-dangerous / etc. / etc. / etc.

What I believe a laptop / activity / software / internet can do is facilitate
empowerment.

"empowerment." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language,
Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. 30 Mar. 2008. <Dictionary.com
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/empowerment>.

"To equip or supply with an ability; enable: "Computers ... empower students
to become intellectual explorers" (Edward B. Fiske).",