UI usability for 4 year old (was Re: Call for Papers/Talks/Ideas!)

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Mon Mar 24 00:28:30 EDT 2008

John R.Hogerhuis wrote:

> Are the left and right panels pressure sensitive? If so, they could be used to
> dynamically adjust the brush size/weight depending on how hard she pushes.

You can use either the resistive sensor ( left + middle + right  with
stylus-class pressure) or the capacitive sensor (middle portion with
fingertip), but not both at the same time.  If the pad detects resistive
(stylus) activity, it switches to a different mode and sends you data
packets reflecting stylus activity across the surface.  When the
resistive activity stops, it switches back to capacitive sensing after a
short delay.

We originally hoped to be able to send information from both sensors
"simultaneously", but that proved to be *really* flaky.

In any case, the left and right panels can't sense fingertip pressure -
you would have to use a fingernail, and that would override the signal
from capacitive sensor.