UI usability for 4 year old (was Re: Call for Papers/Talks/Ideas!)

John R.Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Mon Mar 24 00:20:49 EDT 2008

. K. Subramaniam <subbukk <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Sunday 23 March 2008 3:59:31 am John R.Hogerhuis wrote:
> > .. (actually it's not all that pleasant for me either given the button
> > placement below the trackpad). Something modal or pressure based would be
> > better. If a key on the keyboard held down were the "up/down" button that
> > would be resolution of the dexterity issue. Though, some thought would need
> > to be given to make this "discoverable."
> It is tough for young children to use trackpad like a mouse - with a single
> hand. Using it bi-manually with two index fingers is not only easier but also
> prepares them for typing on the keyboard later. The child can use one index
> finger (say right) on the trackpad and the other index finger (say left) to
> click buttons. Older children can use index fingers for the trackpad and
> thumbs for the buttons.
>
> Subbu

Based on my daughter, she does use two hands to paint. The problem is the need
to constantly hold down the button (drag) while painting. With a mouse this is
natural for her, but with the trackpad she has difficulty. Maybe the issue is
bumping the hand, or coming close to bumping into the hand holding the
button?

This raises another possibility though: use the left or right hand trackpad
segments for the brush up/down. If she just rests her left hand/finger on the
left side of the trackpad to draw, lifting it to stop drawing, that would be
much easier for painting since her left hand is in a more natural position and
does not interfere with the right.

Are the left and right panels pressure sensitive? If so, they could be used to
dynamically adjust the brush size/weight depending on how hard she pushes.

-- John.