Call for Papers/Talks/Ideas! "Update.2 Mini-Conference"

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 19:40:10 EDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
> Is still the plan for Update.2 to be about the most urgent needs from
>  the deployments?

Scott -

what's the release naming scheme? What will the bugfix release post
update.1 be called, versus the next feature release?

in Moodle the last few years - people outside the core dev team
understand it quite naturally, so I am planning to use it for the XS.
After all, the release numbering is a means of communication between
the core dev team and users/admins who want to decide whether to
install the new release - "will it bring new features? is it just
bugfixes? is it backwards compatible?" are the questions in their
mind.

I am starting at 0.2 and preparing now 0.3 (to match update.1) with is
an incremental feature release. Bugfixes on top of it will be 0.3.1,
for example, while I hope 0.4 will bring a couple of new features...
and I will reserve the magic "1.0" for a release down the track that
we consider to be rock-solid and having a consolidated set of
features. A really well tested and polished 0.9.3 or so will become
1.0, the long-term-support version. We'll all go on holidays for a
while, and then we'll start again with 1.1 being the first feature-add
release towards 2.0 ...

cheers,

martin

 martin.langhoff at gmai.com