Project name: Snakes and Ladders is set up

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Mar 18 14:55:48 EDT 2008

On 18 Mar 2008, at 17:12, James wrote:

> I'm assuming that I need to place my private SSH key somewhere
> specific, and
> I'm guessing from the above that it should be named id_dsa and
> placed in
> /root/.ssh/.

Hi James,

That should be in your home directory not "root":

	~/.ssh/id_dsa

This is your private key, and to be honest if this the machine where
you originally created your key, it should have been put here already
by default. Obviously if you have more than one machine or home
directory that you want to work from, your private key needs to be in
each of your homes.

~/.ssh/id_dsa		--> your private key, don't give to anyone and don't
loose
~/.ssh/id_dsa.pub	--> your public key that you can give out to folks,
place on remote servers etc

Hope that helps,
Gary