Project name: Snakes and Ladders is set up

James james at openspark.com
Tue Mar 18 13:12:20 EDT 2008

Henry Hardy wrote
>> 1. Project name : Snakes and Ladders
> Done. Your tree is here:
> git+ssh://openspark@dev.laptop.org/git/activities/snakeladder
>
> Please follow instructions here for importing your project:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Importing_your_project
>
> Let us know if you have any problems with your tree. Happy hacking.

Hi Henry,

Many thanks for setting this up.

My problem is not with the tree but with the SSH2 authentication.

At ...

<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Importing_your_project#Step_4._Performing_the_ini
tial_push>

... I read:

   If this "git push --all" fails:

   * Ensure that your private SSH key (root/.ssh/id_dsa) has
     permissions set to only be readable by your user name,
     then try "git push --all" again.

I'm assuming that I need to place my private SSH key somewhere
specific, and
I'm guessing from the above that it should be named id_dsa and placed in
/root/.ssh/.

Here's what I've tried (take 2).  For clarity, I've replaced the full
path
to the local project directory by .../Snakes:

1) Check that the private key exists in the place I assume it should be
$ nano /root/.ssh/id_dsa

2) Check that only the user james has read rights on the file
$ cd /root/.ssh/
root/.ssh$ ls -l
total 4
-rwx------ 1 james james 1703 2008-03-18 10:36 id_dsa

3) Perform the steps at <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Importing_your_project

$ cd .../Snakes
$ git init
Reinitialized existing Git repository in .git/
.../Snakes$ git config user.name "James Newton"
.../Snakes$ git config user.email "james.newton at openspark.com"
.../Snakes$ git add .
.../Snakes$ git commit -a -m 'Second try'
# On branch master
nothing to commit (working directory clean)
.../Snakes$ git remote add origin
git+ssh://openspark@dev.laptop.org/git/activities/snakeladder
remote origin already exists.
.../Snakes$ git push --all