physic engines speed tests

Chris Hager chris at linuxuser.at
Tue Mar 18 15:17:17 EDT 2008

Joshua Minor wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2008, at 9:48 AM, Chris Hager wrote:
>>>
>>> How do the physics models themselves compare?
>>
>> The only difference I noticed so far is that Box2D calculates in MKS
>> (meter-kilo-seconds), and we have to do the translation to pixels by
>> hand.
>
> I have noticed that Chipmunk never seems to settle all the way, it
> stays jittery even when nothing should be moving.  Box2D only gets
> jittery when objects are under a lot of pressure.  Also, Box2D now
> supports a flag to enable continuous collision detection.  This can
> prevent high velocity objects from tunneling through thin objects.

The not settling thing is a problem with chipmunks elasticity settings -
elements only stop moving if it is set to 0.0.

Also I noticed, that Box2D with SWIG crashed on more than ~ 520 elements.

- Chris

Btw, I've added some graphs to [[Physic_Engines/Speed_Tests]],
displaying the FPS in relation to the count of elements on a XO-B4 (test
with circles and with polygons).