New bible reading activity

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 12:37:13 EDT 2008

I think that judgement is a bit harsh, in this circumstance.  I don't
think anyone is suggesting that this replace "Read" and get shipped to
every child who gets an XO.  While OLPC as a mission attempts to be
culturally neutral, we certainly don't aim to homogenize the coming
generation of kids around the world; in fact, the reason we attempt to
remain neutral is quite the opposite, with the hope that children,
teachers, and developers alike will personalize their XOs in any way
they can.  While we shouldn't be pushing particular agendas,
religions, or other ideals, we don't want to discourage development of
activities and content which are appropriate, perhaps, only for
specific subsets of the OLPC community.  In my mind, claiming
disassociation with such efforts ironically imparts the notion that we
are discouraging any such personalized development, which is the
opposite of our intent.

In other words, I think that in terms of third party content and
activities, we want to be "culturally neutral" by supporting all
types, cultures, religions, and ideals, rather than by ignoring all of
them.

- Eben