Outsider Peruavian Chronicle

Alfonso de la Guarda alfonsodg at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 10:49:51 EDT 2008

Hello,

Finally another chronicle from Perú, from a community side:

 Other Chronicle Peru
A job not only government

Initially had in mind to devote my free time to help develop a project
FLOSS;-selection was obvious-the OLPC project, and my commitment is focused
on ideas 4: EduKT, a manager presentations / stories very simple to operate;
ITv, Integrating technologies lead to solutions for interactive television;
AmiGO, a small robot about $ 35 that could be an alternative to-Lego
Mindstorms (including software), and-finally-Sciento, resulting in a
hardware solution and software that enables scientists to offer low-cost
kits (we started with a weather station). Certainly, today almost all of
these projects have been the alpha versions, except EduKT since I met with a
very particular problem: People did not believe in the project and knew even
less about Linux.

In June 2007, I received a OLPC XO-B2 and since that time we began with a
social movement and the means to disseminate the importance of the project
in order to capture a greater number of stakeholders looking at the way
people could get collaborate. Sponsored by the COS (www.cos-la.org), a
nonprofit organization, began the difficult task of OLPC throughout the
country and we begin our work by inviting a friend-too-collaborator of OLPC:
Eduardo Silva Chile, this was in conjunction with the University of San
Martin de Porres and coordinate with Hernan Pachas. Perhaps most important
of the presence of Eduardo was that we introduced the draft 2 different
ways: A course on how to develop and Sugar with a public presentation in an
outdoor mall. Eduardo Thanks for the help.

Between July, August and September I was invited to various institutions and
universities nationwide to discuss the project and step-by-try to capture
interested in collaborating. In October 2007 followed the presentations and
make a trip to northern Chile to "Encounter Linux", which had not yet known
and that the draft-good-Eduardo (Silva) broadcast additionally aided-by-2-B4
that XO I took.

In early November began to show some valuable achievements. Several
government institutions and individuals approached the Centre for
information and offering their help in exchange for preparedness Free
Software. Certainly not much had been achieved at the community level
because of the unwillingness of the Peruvian to contribute to such projects
(largely because of time and economic issues). Inciamos work coordination
with representatives of the Peruvian Army, the regional government of Junin
and the Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos (the largest in the Peru).

One of the things that surprised me in particular was the fact that each
region could adapt the curriculum to their educational reality and make
changes while not deviate from the targets. Here it is good to clarify
something, the acquisition of OLPC in Peru is more a political and social
and technical-additionally-each region is free to determine whether or not
to use that solution. Well, in the COS we have been meeting with
politicians, congressmen, technicians and representatives of some regional
governments, trying to convince them to support the project (without voice
government official on duty).

>From my initial idea, that is simply spent to develop my priorities change a
topic training and instructive. Between November 2007 and January 2008 we
conducted workshops in some regions, the most important work done at the
University of Los Andes Huancayo (Junin) where we had a workshop on
Development for Sugar in a laboratory 24 Pcs.

 Maybe the most important thing is the closeness of cooperation and
willingness of the regional government of Junin wishing to work in
activities of ecology, health, agriculture, etc.. To do this, pledged to
help implement a pilot Itv and Sciento, starting with the weather station
and something more: an analyzer fluids that an engineer investigator: Carlos
Reinoso has designed. The authorities of Education are very motivated with
the potential of the solution but I realized that it is the health which had
even more interest as the OLPC found a way to improve the quality of life of
people in their region.

We are still in training and coordination with other regional governments to
help not only at OLPC but-even - to address the problem of high school. I
repeat that though the government initiative is well-so far, the development
of the project can be broken if there is not adequate coverage because each
region is the one that determines their needs.

A few weeks ago I Hernán Pachas in touch with the technology consultant of
the regional government of Junin (for-possibly-specific buying more machines
with regional funds) and the committee formed at the University of San
Marcos to integrate some effort.

Forgive the delay in drafting this little report but I am not a person who
engages in documenting (problem several developers), and that conversation a
few weeks ago with some friends asked me OLPC collaborators. Here I must add
that just gave me pleasure to know that a few weeks ago Sebastian Silva
would seek to form a group of volunteers to help with the case, the truth is
that today I can say that despite their good intentions, a community leader
must have skills . Not have-and that will certainly lead to more
conflict-between groups or institutions that wish to collaborate. The issue
may seem a personal vendetta, but honestly, goes far beyond that and who
leads should seek conciliation agreement, the things that simply has
rejected my duty and disapprove and avoid the spread of bad example.

In a few days more comment on progress with the government of Junin (since I
travel in a few days) and in general about the activities that have been
working our collaborators.

--
Alfonso de la Guarda