I/O scheduling (pdflush) on the XO

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Mar 8 17:12:13 EST 2008

For the fun of it, started a resource-intensive task (100% CPU,
sporadic floods of disk writes) on my G1G1 XO.  Eventually, it
failed with a "severe (38)" fortran error trying to write its
checkpoint file {mikus note: many quick small write operations}.

That situation may be a pathological one -- but what I found
interesting was that in again doing something similar (different
worktask), 'top' showed 'pdflush' requiring lots of CPU (up to
52%!!). [And 'jffs2_gcd_mtd0' keeps showing up on 'top', too.]

I take it that my XO is *struggling* when presented with heavy
"disk I/O".

mikus