Detecting the native locale

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 12:04:25 EST 2008

Hi,

You can take a look at the implementation
http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/stable/glib-I18N.html#g-get-language-names
There are four environment variables that are taken into account for
this kind of work
'LANGUAGE', 'LC_ALL', 'LC_MESSAGES', 'LANG'

I had made a method to implement the same thing in Python long time
back (http://sayamindu.randomink.org/misc/get_language_names4.pytxt)

-hth-

Sayamindu

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 9:12 PM, Joshua Minor <j at lux.vu> wrote:
> I'm trying to make Speak pick its default accent based on the native
>  language of the laptop (per Walter's request http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6656
>   )  This is a bit different from normal localization - although I
>  need to do that also - because it is not just replacing strings.  My
>  guess is that I can just look at the environment variable $LANG and
>  pick an accent with a similar ISO 639 language code.
>
>  Can anyone confirm that using $LANG is appropriate for this?
>
>  Also, aside from just setting $LANG to something else, how can I test
>  that this actually works?
>
>  -josh

Sayamindu Dasgupta