State of the update.1

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Mar 7 10:22:02 EST 2008

On Mar 7, 2008, at 15:40 , C. Scott Ananian wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 1:55 AM, Bert Freudenberg
> <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>> On Mar 6, 2008, at 23:53 , C. Scott Ananian wrote:
>>> It seems that, with concerted effort, we could have a reasonable
>>> update.1 build in a short period of time.
>>
>>  I would not dare to call an update which removes a large part of the
>>  XO's educational activities "reasonable".
>
> Please don't deliberately misrepresent the build.  We've been over
> this in multiple places, both in trac and in devel.  The update.1
> builds are just the base for the customization work done by the
> countries.  No one is suggesting that we deploy machines to schools
> without activities.  Suggesting otherwise is an unproductive troll.

It is called an "update". Anyone who updates to a current update.1
build loses those activities. As far as I am aware there has been no
official announcement exactly how to get back the missing activities.
The "preinstalled" designation on the main Activities page has no
meaning anymore. Searching for "Update.1" on the Wiki yields nothing:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Update.1
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Update.1_process
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Update_paths
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Olpc-update

Without an effort to get back the activities (which was not even
mentioned as a to-do item in your message) I indeed do not think it
is "reasonable".

This entire dropping of activities came out of nowhere. Until a few
days ago I thought that we were all together working on a new OS
version called update.1. Judging by other comments I am not alone in
thinking this. I am following the lists very closely, but until I saw
that ticket about removing activities there was not any hint that
this is not going to happen. I as an activity developer of one of the
formerly "pre-installed" activities still do not know how to proceed.
You could at least communicate your intentions, if indeed providing a
useable build is not possible soon.

- Bert -