State of the update.1

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Thu Mar 6 17:53:06 EST 2008

Just to check my understanding, and make sure everyone's on the same page:

Our current update.1 build is 697

It currently has fixes for:
   * trac #6580 (reconfig network on lid open)
   * trac #6579 (remove workstation record from mdns)
   * Mesh multicast ttl=1 (dwmw kernel patch)

The following networking issues are still open:
   * trac #6310 (salut crasher) (in joyride)
   * trac #6572 (key hash in mdns) (in joyride, but partially broken there)
   * trac #6299 (disable salut when gabble is running) (was in, now
out; approach has changed, needs review)
   * trac #6586 (scan failed) ("irreproducible" now that network
traffic is under control)

The following are "release notes":
   * suspend is disabled
   * only core activities are present, to enable local customization.
   * For WEP or WPA, the access point must be set to channel 1, 6, or
11 for the XO to connect. (although there have been reports that this
isn't the case for some people)

There are quite a number of blocker and high priority bugs still filed
against update.1:
http://dev.laptop.org/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&group=priority&order=priority&milestone=Update.1&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=component

>From my brief triage of *only the blocker bugs*, ones which look
important include:
  * trac #1407, 2804, 5268, 6079: touchpad problems
  * trac #5841: spanish and portuguese keyboards broken in console
  * trac #6159: devangari keyboard broken
  * trac #5933: change default jabber server to update1.jabber.laptop.org
  * trac #6050: arabic broken in write
  * trac #6072: sync library changes (seems to have been done once but
needs to be done again?)
  * trac #6245: boot even if firmware needs update (smithbone working on this)
  * trac #6170, 6407: shared write crashes (have patch, current status unknown)
  * trac #6405: can't add photo to write (have sugar patch, not in joyride)

The following bugs can be moved to update.2 if we leave suspend
disabled in update.1:
  * trac #6015: unable to resume
  * trac #6201/4247: no sound after resume
  * trac #6453: no wireless after resume
  * trac #6590: keypresses interfere with resume
  * trac #4255: record takes 10s to start after resume
  * trac #6235: suspend happens at inappropriate times

And the following are believed fixed (but not yet tested or closed):
  * trac #6436/6437: measure broken
  * trac #6443: new pippy translations
  * trac #6444: ohm timeouts
  * trac #5968: spanish localization

I also reviewed http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Test_Group_Release_Notes and
bugs not list above include:
  * trac #6269: USB disk doesn't show up in journal (current status unknown)

It seems that, with concerted effort, we could have a reasonable
update.1 build in a short period of time.  I believe that #6299 and
#6310 need to be pulled into a build before we repeat our "32 laptops
on a schoolserver" test, and #5841 should probably be fixed before we
give an update.1 RC to Peru/Mexico for testing.  #6170, 6407, and 6405
are big bugs in the Write activity, but we seem to have patches in
hand; we just need to push them through into a build.  Fixing (at
least) those six issues might get us to update.1 RC3.
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )