New update.1 build 696

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Wed Mar 5 05:53:42 EST 2008

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2008, at 9:02 , Korakurider wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Morgan Collett
>> <morgan.collett at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
>>>  I see more rationale in that ticket now. In particular, it's easy
>>> to add
>>>  activities through Browse (see below) - and activities added this
>>> way
>>>  can be uninstalled and upgraded - but not possible to remove or
>>> upgrade
>>>  activities that are preinstalled in /usr/share/activities.
>>       I saw also.

>>>  Go to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities in Browse and click on
>>> the
>>>  Download .xo link for each.
>>>  (Well, that's my understanding of this issue...)
>>    I am thinking about some activities that are rpm based , like
>> Etoys.
>>    Are you implying that Etoys needs to be converted to .xo bundle
>>    for update.1 release ?
>
> No, the etoys RPM is different from the Etoys activity. It is in the
> base build and cannot be removed, because Squeak is one of the
> supported languages of the XO platform (see http://laptop.org/en/
> laptop/software/specs.shtml). So Squeak-based activities like Etoys,
> DrGeo, BotsInc, etc. can still be installed.
>
> Nevertheless I would hope that Etoys (as well as TurtleArt and
> TamTam) would come pre-installed on a "learning machine".

In my opinion the activities that would come pre-installed with 696 does
not help to distinguish the XO from any other laptop. Measure would be
another candidate I would vote as being important in an educational
environment - a great way to discover the analog input.

I understand that countries want to customize their builds - but maybe
OLPC should then insist on activities to go in that have an educational
merit, other than browse, chat and friends, since those are likely to be
requested by the countries anyhow.

Best,
    Simon