New update.1 build 696

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Mar 5 05:05:57 EST 2008

On Mar 5, 2008, at 9:02 , Korakurider wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Morgan Collett
> <morgan.collett at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
>>  I see more rationale in that ticket now. In particular, it's easy
>> to add
>>  activities through Browse (see below) - and activities added this
>> way
>>  can be uninstalled and upgraded - but not possible to remove or
>> upgrade
>>  activities that are preinstalled in /usr/share/activities.
>       I saw also.
>
>>> And what is the supported way to obtain and install those missing
>>> from
>>> "base-build"?
>>
>>  Go to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities in Browse and click on
>> the
>>  Download .xo link for each.
>>  (Well, that's my understanding of this issue...)
>    I am thinking about some activities that are rpm based , like
> Etoys.
>    Are you implying that Etoys needs to be converted to .xo bundle
>    for update.1 release ?

No, the etoys RPM is different from the Etoys activity. It is in the
base build and cannot be removed, because Squeak is one of the
supported languages of the XO platform (see http://laptop.org/en/
laptop/software/specs.shtml). So Squeak-based activities like Etoys,
DrGeo, BotsInc, etc. can still be installed.

Nevertheless I would hope that Etoys (as well as TurtleArt and
TamTam) would come pre-installed on a "learning machine".

- Bert -