OLPC-Update + RPMs WAS:Re: OLPC XO Opera browser as Sugar activity

Kim Quirk kim at laptop.org
Mon Jun 30 22:19:55 EDT 2008

We separated out the activities so that we could push the testing and
localization of activities out to the country.  How many activities can they
test? As many as they have people and time for.

It is in the deployment guide (and starting to get good discussion from
sales/deployment people) that a country must take responsibility for
choosing, testing, and localizing activities and content. We will make the
combined OS+Activities image for them, but our testing is limited to
ensuring that the signed image loads and we'll do the equivalent of 10
minutes of testing (this is not exact, but meant to give you the idea that
we won't spend days or even hours testing each customized image -- ideally
this testing is automated so we can do 30 different country images in a day
or in parallel).  The country has to have done the testing to enusre proper
operation of the activities and the correct language, etc.. OLPC's testing
needs to be limited or there is no scalability.

In the same way, we have set a precedent with Uruguay, that if they country
wants to make changes to the code base that they need to send a developer to
1CC to learn how to work with our processes, our developers, our
repositories, etc. and to make sure their features and bug fixes get in
releases. And they have to do their own testing.

If they do all that, then we will sign their builds, do the same '10 minute'
test and be able to support them when they have to make more changes in the
future. We won't fix their code, but we will encourage them to contribute as
we do other developers.

Note: for the G1G1 program OLPC has to choose the activities, ensure that
the testing gets done (hopefully with community help), and take some
responsibility for the activities that we ship.

Kim