Trac Usage Conventions

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 11:22:53 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Deepak Saxena <dsaxena at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Jun 26 2008, at 20:48, Michael Stone was caught saying:
>> >
>> > I tend to think the Milestone should be set by the bug owner (or by
>> > other developers in its team) and not by the bug reporter. I'm not
>> > sure if that's what you mean with people or not.
>>
>> Your suggestion seems good; also, I was intentionally vague.
>>
>> What do others think?
>
> I have a concern that non-developers will use the Milestone
> field to determine what we (OLPC as an organization) are planning
> on supporting in a given release and not as a wishlist item.
> I suggest this field should only be set by one of the release
> release team members once the team is comfortable promissing
> a feature/bugfix to based on develper feedback and prioritization
> based on end-user inputs.

It's not a wishlist, it would be if reporters would be setting the
milestones. It's what OLPC maintainers *think* they might be able to
get in the release. And it's completed by the block:* keyword, which
is reserved to release team, which is actually a promise.

I think interpreting the milestone field in trac as "promissing a
feature/bugfix" would be a misuse of it.

Marco