etoys implementation

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jun 25 18:20:00 EDT 2008

Am 25.06.2008 um 23:25 schrieb Edward Cherlin:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at vpri.org>
> wrote:

> Yes, Etoys is precisely a version of Squeak with more objects added
> in.
>
>>> Just out of curiosity:
>>> Exactly how is it different from vanilla squeak? (If there is such a
>>> thing at all.)
>
> More objects written in Squeak.
>
>> Whichever two images you would like to compare (why not write
>> "Squeak"?), launch two images and evaluate:
>>
>> Smalltalk condenseSources.
>>
>> or equivalent in them.
>
> Explain to John and me how you get a command line in Etoys. No, I see
> it. It's the text input mode in a Scriptor.
>
> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/study/courses/OMP/public/software/sqcdrom2/Tutorials/SqOnlineBook_(SOB)/englisch/sqk/sqk00046.htm
>
> tells you how to operate the controls to get to a scriptor and type in
> it to create a changes file.
>
> doFileout
> Smalltalk changes fileOut.
> self beep: 'croak'
>
> Actually, John, everything you need is in the Etoys Help tool--Script
> Tiles, Object Catalog, and Halo Handles (including the Viewer and
> Debugger)--and the Squeak tutorial
> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/study/courses/OMP/public/software/sqcdrom2/Tutorials/SqOnlineBook_(SOB)/index.html

Actually, to get at the Smalltalk tools, use the view-source key. This
is also mapped to Alt-, if you happen to not run on the XO, while ALt-
Shift-W brings up the regular Squeak main menu. Under help-preferences
you can disable the etoyFriendly setting, which then brings up the
main menu on a background left-click.

>> Each of image will make a .sources file so you
>> get two .sources file.  Then, use diff (perhaps you might want to
>> convert CR to LF before that) to see the difference.
>
> Is this .sources output what Debian is asking for? If not, why not,
> and what would we have to do to complete it from their point of view?

Only they can answer that. It is all the sources, yes.

> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/759
>
> Smalltalk condenseSources
> extracts the currently valid definitions form both
> the sources file and the changes file and merges these into an
> new sources file SourcesV3.6 (you are asked to supply the name of the
> new sources file).
> All outdated definitions are dropped. We have a 14MBytes sources and
> 10 MBytes changes file.
> When these merge we have a 16 MBytes source file and a nearly empty
> changes file. We therefore conclude, that the 10 MBytes of the changes
> contained 2 MBytes new code and 8 MBytes development history.

We currently ship an 18 MB .sources and 600 K .changes file. So the
condenseSources step isn't going to make much of a difference (we did
it in April to produce EtoysV3.sources).

> Can gst bring in a .sources file and a .changes file and create a
> working image?

Not currently.

- Bert -