etoys implementation

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 17:25:14 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at vpri.org> wrote:
[John Gilmore wrote:]

>> >   *That* is Etoys.  What is wrong with it?

Yes, Etoys is precisely a version of Squeak with more objects added in.

>> Just out of curiosity:
>> Exactly how is it different from vanilla squeak? (If there is such a
>> thing at all.)

More objects written in Squeak.

>  Whichever two images you would like to compare (why not write
> "Squeak"?), launch two images and evaluate:
>
>  Smalltalk condenseSources.
>
> or equivalent in them.

Explain to John and me how you get a command line in Etoys. No, I see
it. It's the text input mode in a Scriptor.

http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/study/courses/OMP/public/software/sqcdrom2/Tutorials/SqOnlineBook_(SOB)/englisch/sqk/sqk00046.htm

tells you how to operate the controls to get to a scriptor and type in
it to create a changes file.

doFileout
Smalltalk changes fileOut.
self beep: 'croak'

Actually, John, everything you need is in the Etoys Help tool--Script
Tiles, Object Catalog, and Halo Handles (including the Viewer and
Debugger)--and the Squeak tutorial
http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/study/courses/OMP/public/software/sqcdrom2/Tutorials/SqOnlineBook_(SOB)/index.html

> Each of image will make a .sources file so you
> get two .sources file.  Then, use diff (perhaps you might want to
> convert CR to LF before that) to see the difference.

Is this .sources output what Debian is asking for? If not, why not,
and what would we have to do to complete it from their point of view?

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/759

Smalltalk condenseSources
extracts the currently valid definitions form both
the sources file and the changes file and merges these into an
new sources file SourcesV3.6 (you are asked to supply the name of the
new sources file).
All outdated definitions are dropped. We have a 14MBytes sources and
10 MBytes changes file.
When these merge we have a 16 MBytes source file and a nearly empty
changes file. We therefore conclude, that the 10 MBytes of the changes
contained 2 MBytes new code and 8 MBytes development history.

Can gst bring in a .sources file and a .changes file and create a working image?

>> Is it a different VM, or just a different distribution since it has a
>> different binary blob?
>
>  The VM is well synchronized with the trunk VM.  They were identical
> a few weeks ago.  We now have a few more patches in the OLPC VM branch
> but it is not significant.  The VM is a separeted rpm BTW.
>
>  Why do you refer it to as "binary blob"?

Yeah, it's mostly Smalltalk source and objects created in Smalltalk.

> -- Yoshiki

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/