Is my NAND dead?

Dov Grobgeld dov.grobgeld at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 06:54:33 EDT 2008

For the second time in about a month my OLPC refused to boot. Last time I
did a clean reinstall and it has been up for a couple of weeks. But again it
happened. I turned on the power and nada - it didn't boot.

I figured out that the following failed:

    dir nand:\

It just timeouts until I hit the power.

Roaming the net I found the note at http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/3247 and
ran the command "test /nandflash::fixbbt". The result  was not too
encouraging:

Note: a few bad blocks is normal - these are already known:
[stuff deleted]

Test every block
fcc826cf Save
Bad block at 0x7e641367800 = page 0xfcc82c7 = eblock 0xfff32096
fc969ce6 SAVE
READ 55
Bad block at 07e364e73000 = page 0xfc6c9ce6 = eblock 0xfff1b273
RESTORE
WRITE aa
RESTORE
Page Fault
Ok

Page Fault? What happened?

Rerunning the command gives about the same result.

So has my OLPC turned into a brick? Is there any point in trying to
reinstall the OS?

Thanks!
Dov