Upgrade G1G1 using autoreinstallation method

David Leeming leeming at pipolfastaem.gov.sb
Fri Jun 20 17:13:33 EDT 2008

Hi John,

Sorry for silence, I am just back from a trial deployment in East Sepik
(wiki will be updated later today)

See feedback from OLPC Australia:

(note that setting up an XS is not a short term option in our trials in PNG,
as there is no permanent power supply a the school)

>>> Just wanted to give everyone an update. I bought a DLink DWL-2100AP
which is what David and Ian are trying to implement for their XO rollouts.
We found that we could not get DHCP working on the AP at all for either an
XO or for an IBM laptop running Ubuntu. We tried several different firmware
versions (although the AP is seemingly locked to European firmware and we
can't use the US ones) and the only way we could use it was as an AP that
forwards DHCP requests to the network.

>>> We've spent about 4 hours today trying to troubleshoot the issues and I
am unfortunately going to have to recommend that the APs be plugged into a
network which plugs into an XS server for DHCP to get the XOs connected.
David, where you can't have an XS server you could always buy a different AP
or other DHCP allocation device per site for DHCP resolution as these APs
seem to be inappropriate for the job (at least the Australian ones).

>>> As per my email to the devel list, we purchased an identical AP and
mostly duplicated the problem you're seeing, but were unable to find a fix.

>>> We tested different firmware versions and different settings. Googling
for the issue was interesting as most people simply gave up and used these
APs as wireless bridges. Ultimately the clients will associate with the AP
fine, but they simply will not get a DHCP address and there are a lot of
messy log messages that don't help at all.

>>> I think setting up XS server at the sites (where possible) and turning
DHCP off on the AP is the most sensible way forward. I know this contrasts
slightly with David's experience but this is what we found. Let me know if
you find anything else.

>>> If you want me to source APs that do work both for the future and
perhaps to act as the DHCP servers for your existing sites, please let me
know. A disappointing outcome but with a bit more notice we'd be happy to
help recommend and source better hardware in the future. We literally knew
about Ian's trip through Australia and the purchase of the APs the day
before he arrived.

>>> it seems these APs are not highly regarded and apparently in particular
have issues in high temperature conditions, so you may have worse issues