[sugar] Release Status Report - 8.2.0

pgf at laptop.org pgf at laptop.org
Fri Jun 13 10:19:26 EDT 2008

c. scott ananian wrote:
 > On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
 > > Before we can ship power management, though, we should also fix:
 > >  * the SD corruption bug (#6532) -- if we can't fix it in time, we can
 > >    inhibit suspend when an SD card is plugged in.
 > >  * pushing wakeup decisions to the EC (#6010) -- this will make the
 > >    wakeup logic more reliable.
 >
 > I'd claim that #6532 is not a *blocker*, it is just a desired feature.
 >  I think that we should ship low-power mode in 8.2 even if that means
 > we grey out the option to turn it on when an sd card is mounted.

if we can guarantee that we won't corrupt user data, then i agree
that it's not a blocker.  but if not, i'd say it is.

 > #6010 I'm a little more ambivalent on; I'd need more opinions on
 > whether wakeup is unreliable "enough" to make an explicit low-power
 > mode unworkable.  If it means that sometimes it takes two power button
 > presses to wake up, that's probably not a blocker.  If it is so hard
 > to wake up that people regularly think the machine is hung and
 > hard-power-off instead, that's probably a blocker.

is there background missing from trac?  i don't read anything in #6010
other than "we wake up only to go right back to sleep too often",
which seems even more benign (leaving power usage aside) than
you're describing.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org