On Cerebro, Telepathy, yokes and whites (was Re: cerebro in sugar)

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Tue Jun 10 21:34:23 EDT 2008

Ricardo Carrano wrote:
> We need Jabber to be working too. For the infra scenario in the schools to work.
> But if we consider Cerebro an important part of our future (at least I
> do) we should dedicate more attention to it. I don't know about the
> arrangements between OLPC and Collabora. It seems to be implied that
> if Collabora works in the Jabber front it won't be able to work in
> Cerebro. Is that the case? Really?

Not really, no, we'd be happy to work on using Cerebro to implement the
Telepathy APIs. We do however have a limited amount of resources to
dedicate to on our work for OLPC, and they are spent as directed by the
management at 1CC, as represented to us by Michael Stone. Currently the
main priority for us is implementation of the XMPP server component
(Gadget) to handle activity/buddy discovery and hence allow greater
numbers of users on one XMPP server, and allow us to consider other XMPP
daemons besides ejabberd.

It's my opinion that we should also dedicate some of our resources to
working on Telepathy <-> Cerebro integration too, so that we can make
some comparisons and see how well the existing activities and UIs behave
on a hopefully more mesh-friendly backend. We're currently discussing
with Michael and the folks at 1CC how/when we can make this happen.

Regards,
Rob