On Cerebro, Telepathy, yokes and whites (was Re: cerebro in sugar)

Ricardo Carrano carrano at laptop.org
Tue Jun 10 16:21:55 EDT 2008

> Like Michael pointed out, "there are few people at OLPC who understand
> and enjoy telepathy". I think this is an understatement. Personally, I
> think that Collabora was very pressed to get something working on the
> laptop and the resulting presence stack looks like one hack on top of
> another. For example, there are tons of abstraction layers, yet
> activities have visibility (while they shouldn't) on how telepathy works
> (since telepathy is only a dependency to sugar, this should not be the
> case). Also, the presence service needs to understand if it should
> switch from salut to gabble, but the broadcast storm caused by salut
> won't let XO get an IP address through DHCP, which would mean that
> there's a school server around and..... you get the picture! The current
> plan to attack scalability problems is implementing gadget from scratch
> which, if I understand correctly, is a plug-in to jabber which already
> has many problems of its own. Are we sure we're investing our limited
> time in the right direction?

We need Jabber to be working too. For the infra scenario in the schools to work.
But if we consider Cerebro an important part of our future (at least I
do) we should dedicate more attention to it. I don't know about the
arrangements between OLPC and Collabora. It seems to be implied that
if Collabora works in the Jabber front it won't be able to work in
Cerebro. Is that the case? Really?