New, more realistic multi-hop network testbed

Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos ypod at MIT.EDU
Sun Jun 8 12:39:41 EDT 2008

Quoting "C. Scott Ananian" <cscott at laptop.org>:
> While we're talking about networking:
>
> From discussions with the OLSRd guys, one way they made their
> protocols work well in dense networks was to aggressively use *all*
> the 802.11*a* as well as g channels.  802.11a has 24+ non-overlapping
> channels (in some regulatory environments) which could go a long way
> towards keeping the number of nodes on any given slice of spectrum
> below the 40-node 802.11 MAC limits.
>
> It appears that our wireless chipset supports 802.11a, although our
> frontend and antennas are apparently tuned for 802.11b/g.  That could
> be an advantage: in dense scenarios we actually *want* to keep tx
> power and rx sensitivity low (at the expense of some multihop routes).
> Michalis, does exploring 802.11a operation in some school
> environments seem reasonable to you?
>  --scott

Are there going to be 24 different access points too? Don't forget that
you will
then need to allow users to communicate across different channels, so you will
need a bridge at radio level. I thought the point with having three distinct
channels (1,6,11) was that it provides some sort of scalability at
radio level,
while the cost of "connecting" the three channels was relatively low.

p.