New, more realistic multi-hop network testbed

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Sun Jun 8 12:25:13 EDT 2008

While we're talking about networking:

>From discussions with the OLSRd guys, one way they made their
protocols work well in dense networks was to aggressively use *all*
the 802.11*a* as well as g channels.  802.11a has 24+ non-overlapping
channels (in some regulatory environments) which could go a long way
towards keeping the number of nodes on any given slice of spectrum
below the 40-node 802.11 MAC limits.

It appears that our wireless chipset supports 802.11a, although our
frontend and antennas are apparently tuned for 802.11b/g.  That could
be an advantage: in dense scenarios we actually *want* to keep tx
power and rx sensitivity low (at the expense of some multihop routes).
 Michalis, does exploring 802.11a operation in some school
environments seem reasonable to you?
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )