Peru Upgrade process.

Martin Langhoff martin at laptop.org
Sun Jun 8 12:40:23 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 11:18 AM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
> I'm also a little cranky because when we fought over this last time it
> was argued in elevated voices that we simply *couldn't* have any
> system which required manually plugging a USB key into every machine,
> because the manual labor was too high, we couldn't supply that number
> of USB keys, etc, etc.  So I implemented a rather nice system for
> doing network upgrades.  Now I'm being told that we can't possibly do
> network upgrades, etc, etc.

I would say both sides were right. :-/

What we need in the field is flexibility - locations that don't have a
server (XS or otherwise) make do with USB keys for upgrades (I've seen
a technician carefully arrange ~40 USB keys in what resembled a
chocolate box - molded black plastic to fit each key...)

But where you have a server (Uruguay seems to be an excellent case of
this), network upgrades are clearly preferrable.

> People seem to be viewing the autoinstallation key with rosy glasses
> at the moment,

I agree with that. But for all its failings, it offered an option we
don't have now.

> The autoreinstallation script
> also kept a permanent backup of the user's content, which was a
> Feature (in that it's still the only backup mechanism we had/have),
> but a Bug (in that the USB key eventually filled up and then no more
> upgrades could occur unless you emptied it).

Saw the backups pile up in my key, and wondered about this.

cheers,

 - ask interesting questions