Adding new post script fonts to the OLPC

shivaprasad javali jbsp72 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 06:10:21 EDT 2008

Hi ,

    I am trying to use an application which can use only postscript fonts
but not truetype fonts on the olpc. So I copied some postscript font files
from a normal fedora 7 machine onto the olpc under /usr/share/fonts/local
and then added the paths to xfs using chkfontpath command. Then restart the
Xserver . The application uses normal XWindows functions such as XListFonts
etc.. to list all the fonts available. After doing all this my application
could not recognise the new fonts.

   A similar approach worked for me on a normal fedora 7 machine but not on
the olpc. Abiwpord could recognise these fonts also on the OLPC. Could
anybody figure out why this could be so and what I need to do to get this
working.

Thanks
Shivaprasad