Read Etexts problems with speech-dispatcher resolved -- mostly

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Mon Jul 28 14:45:07 EDT 2008

I have just updated the Read Etexts activity to version 6.  This solves
the problems I was having with pausing and resuming speech in the
activity.  The activity no longer hangs when you do this.  Highlighting
still doesn't work perfectly; it tends to fall behind and catch up.
This is an issue with espeak, I think.

As noted here before, using a multi-threaded activity interferes with
power management.  Read Etexts will have functioning power management if
speech-dispatcher is not installed, but will not if it is installed,
even if you never use the Speech feature.  I know Hemant Goyal was
working on that problem and I don't know where he left it.  He was also
working on packaging RPMs for speech-dispatcher on Fedora.  He has some
that work but have many dependencies that chew up scare disk space.  I
know he's working on an alternate set of RPMs with fewer dependencies
for OLPC.  I haven't tried them.

The instructions in the wiki for installing speech-dispatcher are
incorrect and out of date.  I'm hoping Hemant will update these as well
when he is ready.

You can read more on the Activities page at:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Read_Etexts

James Simmons