[RFC] Four solutions to NAND fillup

pgf at laptop.org pgf at laptop.org
Fri Jul 25 12:14:17 EDT 2008

guylhem wrote:
 > Hello
 >
 > A suggestion for similar problems, which I experienced in the past for
 > other hardware.
 >
 > The /var tree is mostly used for logs and caches - stuff that could be
 > discarded at reboot. And usually, there's a lof ot them (see with du
 > -ksh)
 >
 > There are some important subdirs that however should be kept.
 >
 > What I did :
 >   /var is a link to some directory mounted as shmfs (there are various
 > ones, take the one you prefer)

i think if you look closely at the XO you'll see that this is
essentially already done, but the mechanism is slightly different
than it might have been in the past.  compare the output of "df"
with "df /var/log", for instance, and look in /etc/rwtab.

if you follow this through in rc.sysinit, you'll find that everything
mentioned in /etc/rwtab is mounted on tmpfs.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org