Feedback from deployment lead

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 09:59:01 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I got some good feedback this week on priorities from Carla who has led
several of our early installations. Its posted at:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/9.1.0#Unadorned_and_unedited_user_feedback

I probed for more detail on: "Guarantee that everything they work on is
saved –and/or backed up– and never lost."

I think we will ensure no data is lost on shutdown (see recent autosave
in 8.2.0 thread).

However, their experience was a little different. See the details below.

We have lost touch with them so this is all the info we are likely to get.

Does this look familiar to anyone and if so do we know if its fixed in
8.2.0 (e.g. bug ID)?

Please don't e-mail Carla directly on this. Give me a chance to gather
the consensus of the list and get back to her. That way we won't bury
her inbox and discourage further input.

Thanks,

Greg S

********************

Running 703 w/ Q2D14 they saw this:

Write: In one group, many teachers lost all their work in Write. It
didn't save automatically, and even if they saved manually, they
suddenly lost all their data. It doesn't even appear on the Journal. It
happened in at least 7 machines out of a group of 23 teachers and we
couldn't find any pattern. I couldn't replicate the problem on mine.

Also, instead of re-saving within the same file, it saves many new files
every time it auto-saves, however sometimes it doesn't auto-save.

This is for the 7 teachers that lost their work: They were using lots of
tables, images, lots of formatting to the text (color, size,...) and the
files were long... Since the journal didn't show it. They couldn't back
it up to USB key

One teacher was saving his work, then copied to a USB and tried looking
at it on a PC (he tried all the 4 formats) and he always got a blank
file with 0 Kb.

(no significance to the caps - GS)

RIGHT NOW TEACHERS ARE ALSO TELLING ME THAT  IMAGES SAVED IN A FILE ARE
NOT ALWAYS KEPT IN THE FILE , SPECIALLY IF SAVING UNDER HTML..

OR THEY SAVE IN ONE MACHINE SHARE IT WITH OTHERS AND OTHERS DON'T SEE
THE IMAGES.

THEY ARE SAVING 'WRITE' IN USB KEYS AND TRY TO SHARE IT AND THEN IT
DISPLAYS NO-CONTENT IN OTHER XOs ...AND IN MY IBM LAPTOP I CAN'T SEE THE
FILE. IT HAD HAPPENED TWICE.