For review: NAND out of space patch.

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 18:45:32 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com> wrote:
> But, assuming we can actually boot into usable Sugar, we've solved almost
> half the battle, since the non-modal alert can then strongly encourage the
> user to deal with the issue.  It's not the flat out guarantee we need to

Yes.

\> this comes down to determining the correct heuristic for removing files,

If you mean "user files" then the problem is that there is never a
correct heuristic. Chris and Greg have pointed out valid use cases
that run afoul of "largest" and "oldest" heuristics. We could tweak it
but as long as it is user files...

Erik has outlined a scheme that could get the machine to boot so that
the user can delete some\thing.

Deleting safe (cache) files + bind-mounting a tmpfs seem
complementary. Deleting user files is a wrong that no smarts can make
right. Specially since ds-backup is not there yet.

If ds-backup-client is in place, files older than the mtime of
.sugar/default/ds-backup-done are safe to rm

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions