Devel Digest, Vol 29, Issue 120

Jacob Haddon thaesa at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 19 09:21:50 EDT 2008

Forgive my interjection. http://forum.laptop.org is already set up as a forum. While there seem to be more users over at the olpcnews forum, this one is still used for suggestions/help/news, etc.

-j

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 21:31:24 -0400
From: "Eben Eliason" <eben.eliason at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: URL and Integration
To: "Noah Kantrowitz" <noah at coderanger.net>, "Adam Holt"
    <holt at laptop.org>
Cc: devel at lists.laptop.org, Jonah Saltzman <jonah at jonahsaltzman.biz>,
    Sugar List <sugar at laptop.org>, grassroots at lists.laptop.org

On the other hand, maybe what we need more is a forum space.  We have the
wiki, and we have the bug system, but we don't have an interactive space
where people can ask questions and help each other find solutions. I think
this was one of the goals you had in mind for the site, and I think a forum
might be a more appropriate manifestation of that.  If that's something we
seriously want to do (forum.laptop.org, or similar?), we should research
some available open source solutions and choose one which would best suit
our needs.  There would still be a fair bit of work involved in setting it
up and theming it appropriately, as well as need for moderation and such,
but over time that kind of administration could be handled largely by
community.  Such an initiative could also benefit the support folks by
providing a more self-sustaining method for people to ask and answer
questions.

- Eben