Quick tabbing profiling (was Re: Report on `activities switching' profiling)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Sat Jul 19 06:18:55 EDT 2008

2008/7/18 Benjamin Berg <benjamin at sipsolutions.net>:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 12:51 -0400, Eben Eliason wrote:
>> Can someone make sense of this for me?  Ben, do you see anything we
>> can optimize here?  I've noticed while quick-tabbing on my XO that the
>> gray selection box doesn't usually update as I switch, so I can't tell
>> where I am.   If I pause long enough to see the selection move, I also
>> get the redraw of the whole activity, slowing me down and defeating
>> the purpose.
>
> Outch. It is right that the activities are saving their state all the
> time. I forgot about the messages send to the activities. Which means
> that the activities are "active" even though the window is not raised.
>
> We may need a more complicated scheme to keep track of the activities
> during tabbing.

Much more complicated? Perhaps we should have a TabbingContext class
to keep track of these things, so we don't add too much complexity to
classes like Shell and ShellModel?

How bad is this issue from the user point of view?

In my opinion, if we can land one important feature like this on one
milestone, and improve its performance on the next one, that's quite
probably the best we can do with the available resources. If we
optimize too late in the release cycle, we may introduce too many bugs
and greatly affect the stability of the whole product.

Regards,

Tomeu