OFW sad face doesn't say why

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Fri Jul 18 21:35:49 EDT 2008

Truth be known, I'm not terribly keen on stirring the firmware graphics
pot again.

When the firmware encounters a nonexistent or expired lease, there is no
error message from the firmware.  It just boots the OS in "activation
mode".   The OS then tries to acquire a new lease, and if it can't, the
OS displays the graphics.

Normally, the only thing that the firmware shows is the XO and one dot
below it.

Note that the original question was related to a bad developer key, not
a lease.

The firmware only displays device icons in "chatty mode", i.e. when you
hold down the check key.