OFW sad face doesn't say why

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 16:58:49 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Mitch Bradley <wmb at laptop.org> wrote:

> If you hold down the check key while booting, the firmware will give
> additional information about the boot progress, in both iconic and textual
> form.
>
> I put in the sad face because I needed some way to indicate failure.  The
> published design specified what is supposed to happen when everything works
> but didn't give detailed guidance for the myriad of possible failure
> scenarios.

I see.  So this isn't the "we couldn't find a lease" screen. Its a
"something weird happened" screen instead? Do we still have the lock icon
 "couldn't find a lease" screen in place as specified?  Mitch, what might
actually be best is if you could write a ticket (or tickets) for all of the
cases you need to handle, so I can make a mockup of what they should look
like in the future.  (I'll assume that we don't have a) access to user
colors b) access to animation c) access to translation in all cases unless
otherwise noted.)  This would include cases like "you need to plug into AC
power to continue" as well.  I'll see what I can do, and hopefully we can
make the feedback all much more meaningful and reliable.

> Note that, in the normal (no check key) case, there is no SD icon - at NN's
> insistence.

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that (I guess I need to update).  What's the
reasoning there?  Isn't the SD card a valid place for a lease file?

- Eben