Code name for 9.1.0

pgf at laptop.org pgf at laptop.org
Thu Jul 17 09:33:28 EDT 2008

[ greg -- be sure fix the subject when replying to a digest. ]

greg wrote:
 > Hi Martin,
 >
 > We need keep that capability of upgrade from anywhere to anywhere if at
 > all possible! That is a huge benefit for our customers and for our
 > managing the scope of testing.
 >
 > Even if we can just keep that from any 70x forward it will be a big help.
 >
 > I know we hope 8.2.0 is rock solid but it may not be so we need an
 > option to downgrade safely.

downgrade is _very_ difficult to get right.  it's a worthy goal,
but given our testing resources, and the natural concentration of
both developers and testers on the upgrade scenario, i wouldn't
promise downgrade.  (and from what cscott has said to me every time
i mutter under my breath about upgrade oddness, i'm under the
impression that the "boot to previous version" is really only
a failsafe mechanism to keep the box running until your upgrade
is successful, and isn't intended as a true "downgrade".  correct
me if i'm wrong, scott.)

paul