Code name for 9.1.0

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Wed Jul 16 10:28:59 EDT 2008

Absence of dissent does not mean agreement.  It often means some people
are just tired of the topic and will find the topic frustrating to chime
in on; I know this to be true for some of us.

I must say I'm tired of us changing our naming scheme again and again.
We've gone from build numbers, to ship.x, to update.x, to the current
numbering scheme. I'm not convinced that having a code name in addition
to a numbering scheme adds much, though I have little objection to the
particular scheme being proposed here.

But I'd like to defer this discussion/decision until we've figured out
who will be doing the release job for 9.1.0; that person's opinion
should weigh more than most in the discussion. Hopefully we'll get this
settled on in the next week or two.

Them that does, has the most say, in my book....
                                 - Jim

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 13:11 -0600, Jameson "Chema" Quinn wrote:
> Well, actually, the mango suggestion was made originally as a tree,
> not a fruit - as the tree Freire learned to read underneath. Obviously
> the concept of "learning under a tree" exists in many cultures around
> the world, and there are several trees that would work for this:
>
> apple (newton), bodhi/banyan/fig/pipal/Ashvastha (buddha), juniper
> (navajo), buttonwood (wall street), "blossoming
> pear" (african-american - from "their eyes were watching god"),
> mulberry (china/silk), baobab, thorn tree....
>
> I definitely sympathize with the "general fruit" and "alphabetical is
> nice" threads here. Verbs are good too. And the above list, even if we
> managed to triple it, would still be a little too thin to make such
> wordplay easy. But even if we decide against a list like the above, I
> would still advocate for starting with mango, and then going
> alphabetical later (as Ubuntu did). The Freire story is a good one,
> and mango is such a fun word to say.

Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child