Cannot test 8.2 images with VMware Player on an Intel laptop (Kernel requires 3dnow)

Ton van Overbeek ton at v-overbeek.nl
Mon Jul 14 13:06:22 EDT 2008

Hello,

I am trying to run the 8.2 builds under VMWare Player on my Windows XP
Intel laptop.
The 8.2 image I used is from
http://pilgrim.laptop.org/~pilgrim/olpc/streams/8.2/build3/devel_ext3:
xo-1-olpc-stream-8.2-devel_ext3.img.bz2
Converted with qemu-img to a vmdk as per the instructions on
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/VMware/Convert.

At boot I get the message:
This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:
3dnow
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

The same procedure worked without any problems for update.1 build 708
(aka 8.1.1).

I suppose this is caused by the switch from fc7 to fc9.
Any chance of generating devel images with a kernel which does boot on
Intel (non AMD) CPUs?
If not, any hints on how to replace the kernel image in an ext3 devel image
with a custom built one?

I use this setup also to test/try collaboration between my real G1G1 XO and
one or more emulated XOs on my laptop, all on the same local network.

Many thanks in advance for any hints.

Ton van Overbeek