Faster Launch of Activities

riccardo riccardo.lucchese at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 03:56:37 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 13:48 -0400, Chris Ball wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    > Let's get it on the roadmap for 9.1, when we've got time to
>    > actually make the fixes required and test them properly (unless
>    > someone really believes that speeding up sugar is a 4 line patch).
>
> I'd like to see an activity startup time comparison (just taken with a
> stopwatch) between 650, joyride before the new sugar shell but after
> rainbow prelaunch was added, and latest joyride.  We should do this
> before we ship 8.2, and in future we should try to publish changes to
> activity startup time alongside patches that touch activity launch.
>
> I was planning on doing this measurement myself, but it's not getting to
> the top of my stack.  Could I persuade someone else to volunteer?

I already have them for one of the latest joyrides.

For my work I normally take first start-up and second launch timings.

I haven't yet checked whether rainbow is now started after X in the
latest joyride or if this is coming soon in the next builds. Would make
sense for you to have the same timings taken also after restarting
rainbow ?

I'm not familiar with builds changelogs since 650; let me
know from which of them you'd like these timings.

riccardo