Activity Backward Compatibility (was re: Re: joyride 2128 smoketest)

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Mon Jul 14 16:49:59 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 6:32 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
>> Also, there's nothing saying that this has to be a particular person's
>> email address.  It could be a list, or a mailinator account, or pass
>> through an anonymizer or something else.
>
> I suppose some activity authors might prefer to provide a link to some
> web page with the contacts...

And I'd strongly prefer that they *not* do so.  First off, it's
pointless to do so, since the web page is a lot easier to spam-spider
than the activity bundle.  But fundamentally, I want to be able to use
semi-automated tools to email "all G1G1 activity authors", and having
to trawl through web pages to find where the email addresses have been
hidden is not my idea of a good time.

The activities database at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities
already has a 'source url' field for the web page.  What is needed is
a means to (a) contact the maintainers, and (b) report bugs.  A
webpage URL does neither of these things.
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )