LZO support

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Mon Jul 14 15:00:19 EDT 2008

C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 2:05 PM, NoiseEHC <NoiseEHC at freemail.hu> wrote:
>
>> Currently I am profiling/rewriting the LZO decompression code.
>>

> Again, be warned that there's no guarantee we will ever use LZO
> compression.  The plan of record is to disable compression on selected
> files instead.  That's not to say you shouldn't do the work if it
> interests you, just that you'll be facing an uphill battle & don't say
> we didn't warn you. =)

I have a partially finished ZLIB decompression code as well. mstone just
told me that time that we will use LZO so that effort was moot...
Currently I cannot decide if I should cry or just laugh hysterically... :)
>> worthwhile to include in the kernel. Note that if this succeeds then
>>

> Are your benchmarks catting data from a jffs2 partition on FLASH or an
> ext2/3 partition on a hard drive?  I'd be interested to know exactly
> how far we are from being IO limited at present.  Are we quibbling
> about details in the noise?
>   --scott

These benchmarks just measure the noncached memory -> memory
compression. As I have said I am not too qualified for this work, so
unless somebody creates an XO image which uses LZO... I mean that if
there is a working F9 image with the new kernel then I will be able to
work from the srpm but simply cannot build a full image myself.