Release Status Meeting - 7/1 - Notes - Customers

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 11:28:42 EDT 2008

Hi Kim, Scott, et al,

In the meeting on 7/1 we (those who joined on time) agreed 8.2.0 is a
time based release intended to include the latest code (e.g. Fedora 9
and New Sugar).

I think it falls in the category of "release early and release often".

I agree that it does not completely address the concerns of our early
customers. The top two customer requests are improvements in touch
pad and collaboration.

I hope we make some progress on them in this release but neither is
a gating factor AFAIK. There are three collaboration tracking items in
http://dev.laptop.org/report/18 so if you can add any specific bugs to
those that will help.

FYI Collaboration is a hot item on the Sur list, again. This time coming
out of Peru. We need to document what collaboration scenarios we support
in a way that the users act on. That goes for 8.1.0, 8.1.1 and 8.2.0.

Unless we deliver important and necessary improvements for Peru and
Uruguay they will skip this one. That's OK as it gives us a chance to
burn it in and then they can pick up the next one.

It can still be a useful release for other customers and for attracting
new customers. I think that's the point Kim is making.

Once I get some links explaining the new features I'll put together some
materials outlining their value for end users. Then we can promote the
release as it stands and see how much demand there is.

These action items were meant to ensure that we communicate our plan
with the key customers and get their response ASAP. We're actively
working on that now.

In any case, this release is almost ready and we need to strike while
the iron is hot!

That's my take after 2.5 weeks on the job :-)

Let me know if you still have concerns.

Thanks,

Greg S