Release Status Meeting - 8.2.0 - Tomorrow, 2:00 PM EDT, various venues - Notes

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Thu Jul 3 12:08:29 EDT 2008

On Jul 1, 2008, at 10:20 PM, Kim Quirk wrote:

> My thoughts in-line...
> Kim
>
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 6:16 PM, C. Scott Ananian
> <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Greg Smith
> <gregsmitholpc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > - Kim will check with Peru and Greg will check with Uruguay teams to
> > ensure that they do not plan to upgrade to 8.2.0. Action item due by
> > July 20.
>
> Why don't we want them to use 8.2?
>
> Two reasons for Peru to stay with 8.1:
> 1 - Peru has 'blessed' their build for the next 75k laptops and we
> got it into production for them. It is 703+peru activities (which
> you knew, but may not have thought about the reason we ECO'd it
> into production was so they don't have to upgrade before giving
> them out to students).
>
> 2 - Peru has created and printed their User Manuals based on the UI
> of 8.1.
>
> We should expect and encourage them to continue on this path. We
> will support 8.1 until we ship 9.1, which should work for them.
> That's that part that I will confirm when I visit them.

This is in direct contradiction with the agreement from my last visit,
communicated to tech-team in my trip report.

9.1 will not land soon enough for them to generate new training
materials and train teachers before the start of the school year
at the end of March.

8.2.1 will be available in plenty of time for all the above to happen.

> Greg has agreed to check in with Uruguay on where they are in their
> roll out to teachers and students.
>
> I suspect some words were left out, and what you really meant was,
> "their schedules for adopting 8.2 are not pressing"?
>
> If we don't expect our two largest deployments to adopt our release,
> why are we making it?
>
> KQ - We have many, many more deployments, trials, pilots, possibly
> G1G1, who will be just getting their laptops when 8.2 is ready or
> soon there after. This release is for them.
>
> Even in the case of G1G1, if those laptops go out with 8.1.1, they
> can MUCH more easily be upgraded to 8.2 than was possible with
> earlier releases.
>

> Something's not right here.
>
> Incidentally, on the "blocking bug" front, I notice that Uruguay's
> wireless problems with 703/708 were nowhere to be found on the roadmap
> for 8.2.  This is a blocker to our producing something useful for "the
> kids".

Uruguay's wireless problems require changes to their school server,
not 703/708...