Inappropriate use of private meetings & lists. (reply to).

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed Jul 2 13:33:13 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 02 July 2008, Carol Lerche wrote:
> I don't understand the argument that forcing "Reply-to" to be back to the
> list eradicates a list participant's ability to get the reply on their
> preferred email address.  Presumably they replied to the list via this
> address.  By forcing "Reply-to" to the list address, all subscribers should
> receive the reply in the way they specified when they subscribed to it.
> What am I missing?

by setting the replyto the list i wont get ccd on email when people reply to
all  because that is the easy way to make sure it goes back to the list in the
current setup.  instead I will get responses via mailmain and not direct and
the mail will have the X-BeenThere header and will be filed appropriately on my
mail server.

mailmans recommendation works if you use the list to start private
conversations.  but when you want public discussion as we do.  you are much
better off setting ReplyTo the list.  Please someone who is an admin set the
replyto the list.